The End of the Day at School

It’s Friday, and the day has been blustery.  We watched the wind and rain blow leaves off the trees.  We’re learning about Russia, and we’re planning a Zoom play performance next week of ‘Peter and the Wolf’.  We listened to every instrument.  A parent (and music teacher) Zoomed with the children about the instruments in Peter and the Wolf.

By 4:00, children were tired of toys and needed to move.  We played “Firework” by Katy Perry.  I taught children how to do the Conga Line, and we danced up and down the hallway to the song.

Music fills the soul.  Children are drawn to music.  Who knew that my old-fashioned Conga Line dance would be so popular with this modern song?

The day ended on a big high, and Gloria and the toys  had to settle down for the weekend.

She decided to settle down with a book about bears.  There are jungle animals and dinosaurs close by who have been restless.  They’re waiting in line at the vet clinic.

I wonder what the weekend will bring?

This entry was posted in Early Education, Expressing words and feelings, Inspiration, preschool, School, Teaching young children and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to The End of the Day at School

I can imagine how popular the conga line would be with your students, especially because I’m sure you were joining in too. Happy weekend, Jennie!

Music always gives the day an extra oomph!

The Vet is going to be busy with those dinosaurs and jungle animals!
    Peter and The Wolf was a favourite of my childhood. I had a lovely illustrated book of the story, in the 1950s.

The kids might enjoy hearing the ‘Peter and The Wolf March’, by Prokofiev. They could march to it!

5. My brother gave my daughter the “Peter and the Wolf” album one Christmas when she was little. It was a big hit.

6. Those poor vets have their work cut out for them 😉

7. Jolene says:

It sounds like a fabulous day. I used to do Peter and the Wolf with my K Classes during “P” Week. It was perfect. PROKOFIEV, PRODUCTION, PETER….
    Over here at Frog Pond Park we were having a “Festival” and dancing to Mama Mia during the rainy windy day. Have a wonderful weekend my friend.

Hi Jolene! I remember, and it was PERFECT for P week. You and I always treasure introducing music to children. i can’t imagine anything more wonderful than dancing to Mama Mia on a rainy, windy day at Frog Pond. Miss you, my friend! ❤️

8. I’m tired just hearing your day! I love the bassoon in Peter and the Wolf. And love Russia with their deep-seated love of their Mother Russia. Good lessons, Jennie.

Haha! I’m always tired after I come home from school. We all talked about our favorite instrument in Peter and the Wolf (mine was the oboe), and children recognized the different sounds. That was wonderful! Learning about Russia has been great. We have a live wolf cam going and next week we’ll make blinis. Thank you, Jacqui.

I love Peter and The Wolf. Another thing my wonderful Grade Three teacher, Miss Roll, introduced us to. I enjoyed listening to the music Pete added.

10. What a fun day! I can almost see the children doing the conga line dance!! 💃😍

11. quiall says:

If you let your imagination run wild, Glory could be doing anything on the weekend. What a wonderful discussion for the Monday morning.

12. The weekend will be magic I’m sure. Thanks, Jennie.

13. Sounds like another wonderful way to end the day in Jennie’s classroom. 🙂

14. Jim Borden says:

Firework is one of my all-time favorite songs; I can see how your children would love it…

15. Annika Perry says:

Yeah! What a great way to finish the week – I can well imagine the uplift in the mood for you all, high on music & dance. Ahh… the vet clinic looks so sweet and I bet there will be hours of fun playing this coming week as all the animals are treated for various ailments!

16. Hi Jennie, I just love Peter and the Wolf. Do you know Sparky’s magic piano? You children might like it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km19Iohd1YA

17. dgkaye says:

Never a dull moment in your classroom Jennie 🙂 xx

18. bosssybabe says:

How lovely! 🙂 My favourite thing to do with Charlotte is dancing in our kitchen to wonderful popular music (of my time lol).. it’s so sweet when she asks me what the title of each song is and who the artist is! 🙂

19. You are really never short on ideas, Jennie! 😉 It’s interesting that you guys are doing so well using Zoom. Here one is almost afraid of introducing the children to this technique. xx Michael