Sam and Alex, Then and Now

When children return to school to visit, it is always a treat for teachers.  When children return to give back, it becomes a whole new chapter.  I am the one filled with wonder, the children are just eager.

Sam and Alex were in my class when they were four years old.  They became best friends right from the start.

Here are Sam and Alex, when they were in my summer camp group:

Oh, did we ever have fun!

Here are Sam and Alex now:
Still best buddies after all these years.

They came to school to help with our annual Fall Fix-Up this past weekend.  They’re now so…big.  That happens when you become seniors in high school.

These two are all about giving back to their roots.  We talked on and on about their dreams for college and the future, and about their memories in the Aqua Room:

Hermit crabs and the guinea pig.
Taking Gloria home for a weekend.
Crunchy Cheetos.
Music at rest time.
Chapter reading and stories.

One of the first classroom books I made with children was “Brown Bear, Brown Bear.”  Sam was right there in the book:

Alex was always creative in his play:

Sam wants to do his Eagle Scout project at school.  I have been to two Eagle Scout ceremonies, and let me tell you- it is a lifetime achievement.  Did you know there is only one group that has all members who were Eagle Scouts – the astronauts who landed on the moon.  Wow.

I am a keeper of treasures.  Cards and drawings from children are treasures.  So are letters from parents.  Here are excerpts from Sam’s mother’s letters (to the director of my school), those many years ago:

“…on a teacher who stood out amongst the rest.  I originally saw a picture of her on the GCS website.  She had brought her class to the Groton library…how interesting!  Oh how Sam and I LOVE the library!  In this picture she was holding a book that her class had created called “The Groton ABC Book.”

The letter is a long one, and quite wonderful.  Then, there is a letter about Sam and Gloria:

“Never judge a book by its cover”

“While searching for great books about chapter reading books filled with adventure, I heard Sam exclaim with excitement “GLORIA”!!!  As I looked up, I saw Sam run to the back wall, filled with books on fall and Halloween.  Amongst these books on the shelf was indeed a doll that looked very much like Gloria.  There she sat with a scrunched up old wrinkled face, and to some of the other children looking on, had a somewhat scary demeanor… but something magical happened.  Sam picked her up, like a long lost friend and gave her a warm hug.  “Gloria, I’ve missed you!  Mom- It’s Gloria!!!”

The letter goes on, as to why Gloria is important and makes a difference, planting wonderful seeds, and making impressions.  That is exactly what teachers do, too.  When we plant seeds, make impressions, and give children love and enthusiasm for learning, it makes a difference.

Thank you, Sam and Alex.

This entry was posted in behavior, Early Education, Expressing words and feelings, Giving thanks, Gloria, Inspiration, preschool, Student alumni, Teaching young children and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

71 Responses to Sam and Alex, Then and Now

1. Congratuliations, Jennie! Thats the goal to reach, and you are again the winner. 🙂 Wonderful to see the strong band that you have woven over the years. xx Michael

2. A wonderful testament to your teaching and pupils!

It’s so nice of them to come back to visit and help. It’s. Reflection on you, Jennie – a good one.

4. Jolene says:

I adore this post and these two young men. Sam and Alex…perhaps the title of a future book.xoxoxo

I thought of you, Jolene. I was trying to remember what Sam did in the year-end kindergarten rainforest play… or was it a different play? We have both been there when our students are still BFFs today – and some even getting married! I think Sam and Alex sounds like a great book title. 😀 Yes, they are two fine young men.

5. Thank you for this heartwarming post on a frosty morning! GLORIA!!

6. What a wonderful post, so I toast Sam & Alex. I enjoyed seeing former students after they graduated – especially when they stopped by to see me. Well done, Jennie!

7. This post made me smile and I needed that smile. Thanks 😁

8. Jim Borden says:

that must have been wonderful to catch up with Sam and Alex. Seems like they have turned out to be fine young men, thanks in part to all they learned in your classroom! I also liked your listing of what they remembered from your classroom, I guess you never know what will leave an impression…

It was wonderful, Jim. How did they get to be so big? 🙂 You know how it feels as a teacher when kids return, and turn out just fine. Oh, the memories. They’re always a surprise. Crunchy Cheetos is a great story. The little things are really the big things (I say this a million times.) Yes, you never know what will leave an impression. Isn’t that exciting?

• Jim Borden says:

I love when I run into former students who are now out working. They all seem to have become so professional, in such a short amount of time.

Have you written about the Crunchy Cheetos before?

I know what you mean. A kid one day, and a professional the next. For me, a kid one day and a college student the next.

Oh, the Crunchy Cheetos!! Honestly, I don’t think I have written about this, but I should, because ‘the little things are really the big things’. This started at the school’s summer camp, where being silly can be important in bonding with a child. So, there were a few shy ones who brought Crunchy Cheetos for snack. I became a crazed lunatic and robotically loomed over their snack saying, “Crunchy Cheeto alert”, over and over again. It broke the ice, and became a ‘thing’ whenever a child brought in Crunchy Cheetos. Sam remembered. Nice!

• Jim Borden says:

I now have this image of you as a crazed lunatic! 🙂 I agree that being silly can help break the ice…

Haha!! It definitely broke the ice.

9. “Real men **do** eat quiche – and – ‘give back to their roots.'”
    😎

10. barbtaub says:

I firmly believe the luckiest kids in the world are your students!

It would be interesting to know how many students went in to Scouting, then Eagle rank.

12. Precious moments spent in the present and linked with the past. A privilege enjoyed by those who love what they do.

How wonderful that they come back and share great memories.

14. As an Eagle scout, I applaud Sam and his efforts. The skills I learned in the program have stayed with me my whole life. Great post, Jennie.

Oh, this is fabulous, Jennie!

Alays an extra joy to read posts like this one from you. The fruit of your labour, home to roost!

17. This is so much fun to read and so much fun to look at before and after. What a gift beautiful wonderful teachers like you give to human beings. And what a gift these two boys turned men are!

18. Wonderful reflections and update!

19. frenchc1955 says:

Hi Jennie, thank you for sharing this wonderful post!

20. shadynooker8 says:

Jennie, What a wonderful blog post about Sam and Alex, they absolutely adore you! You gave both of them such an amazing start and imbedded a love of learning! We remember that day with Gloria in the library so vividly! She now represents those current trend words like inclusion and diversity, but ultimately you were the one who taught them to never judge a book by its cover Jennie. Thank you for being who you are. We loved seeing you. I’m so glad Sam has chosen to give back to GCS for his Eagle project. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Xxoo

Thank you for your wonderful, heartfelt words, Diane! I’m so glad you vividly remember the day Sam saw Gloria in the library. Yes, the trend words many come and go, but Gloria’s message is always the same. It was such a pleasure to see all of you at school. I hope I will be invited to Sam’s Eagle Scout induction ceremony. -With Love, Jennie-

I think my favorite posts are the post-teaching ones. I’ve done a few, and yours are always fantastic, Jennie. I remember reblogging one of your posts from a couple of years back about one of your Eagle Scouts. What was it called? (Something and the Eagle Scout?) Isn’t it wonderful that these two boys are still such good friends? I can tell you feel a lot of pride in the young men they have become. Of course, the Gloria look-a-like story is delightful too.

I’m glad you enjoyed this, Pete. I know you feel the same way when your students return and you see how they’ve grown. So proud! I think the post was The Castle and the Eagle Scout. I have been to two Eagle Scout inductions, and they’re quite inspiring. Yes, it is amazing that the boys are still besties. The mom told me she remembers the Gloria library incident like it was yesterday. 🙂

22. bosssybabe says:

Aw I love that Sam and Alex came to visit you and give back – even more amazing is that you were such a wonderful, memorable influence on them that they remembered you even after all these years (as young as they were)! I loved visiting my former teachers after leaving the school! The most fun was walking the halls and thinking they shrank everything after we left (because how could the coat hooks be that low???) 🤣

Thanks so much, Jen. It was really wonderful. Hats off to you for visiting your former teachers. I’m sure you made their day… it means a lot to teachers. It always cracks me up when former students visit, and are shocked at the ‘sledding hill’ on the playground that is sooo small. 😅

23. I love this story! I love that they came back to give back, and that they’re still good friends!

24. MeRaw says:

Great story and wonderful photos.
    x

25. Elizabeth says:

One major loss in my life from moving from Oregon to Connecticut was losing the opportunity to bump into my art students now making a living or some part of a living as artists in Portland. It is very odd to not constantly run into people I know. After 20 years I now just occasionally bump into someone familiar.

26. Gift says:

Kudos to Jen, you thought em well❤️