Bette’s post on inspiring kids of all ages – one book at a time is a perfect companion to my Jim Trelease and reading aloud post yesterday. There are so many reasons to share a book with a child. Thank you Bette!
“The love of reading is a lynchpin for successful learning—for success in life. Kids learn to read best when adults take time to share their passion for books with them.” ~Bette A. Stevens, Maine author.
May is #GetCaughtReading Month!
One of the best ways to inspire kids to love to read is by reading aloud to them and talking with them about the books you share. We can all make a difference in the lives of the children around us when we #GetCaughtReading with the kids!
Benefits of Reading Aloud to Children of all ages
- Expands vocabulary as they hear new words in context
- Provides contextual examples for grammar and sentence structure that everyday conversation does not offer
- Strengthens reading comprehension
- Increases a child’s attention span
- Teaches life skills associated with story themes and characters
- Fosters family/generational/community communication.
Research has shown that children who come to school with a large vocabulary…
View original post 552 more words