Kindness, Peace, and Love Day

This is a re-post of  how young children honor the heroes of 9/11.

9/11 at school is Kindness, Peace, and Love Day.  How do we help young children honor the brave people on 9/11?  By remembering and celebrating how people were united in brotherhood and came together to help each other.  We talk about heroes – firefighters, police officers, nurses, doctors, teachers…

Yes, heroes.  They are the ones who face a tragedy and find goodness and strength.  We can, too.  Children can be heroes.  There is a hero in us all.

Today we held the American flag.  I talked to a whole school of children filled with big eyes and wearing red, white, and blue.  I showed them how to stand and put their hand on their heart.  We sang “God Bless America.”  Then I asked, “Who is a hero?”  The shout-outs were terrific:

Firefighters!  Police officers!  Teachers!  Moms!

“You can be a hero, too.  Yes, you can.  You can help a friend.  You can spread kindness.  And when you see a firefighter or a police officer, please say ‘thank you’.  So who’s going to celebrate Kindness, Peace and Love Day today?”  Every hand went up.

We then sang one of our favorite songs about America, “Red, White and Blue” by Debbie Clement.  While the song is a book, based on quilting America, it is the children’s favorite.

We will never forget 9/11, and we will always celebrate Kindness, Peace, and Love Day.  Today was a wonderful day.

This entry was posted in America, American flag, Early Education, Giving thanks, patriotism, Peace, Teaching young children and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Kindness, Peace, and Love Day

1. ❤ Kindness, peace & love day ❤

Claudia writes about the rescue dogs of 911. It might be good to share with the children.

3. There is no better way to remember those who gave their all.♥️

4. So beautiful! You gave me goosebumps again with this tribute to all those who were heroes on 9/11.

5. Opher says:

Amen to kindness, peace and love! That’s what the world needs!

Good repost, Jennie. Here’s hoping the next generation will never forget the events of that tragic day.

7. GP Cox says:

This was well-worth re-posting, Jennie. Thank you.

8. Jennie, thank you for posting and I hope this is a day that no one will ever forget. Such a horrible tragedy that it is beyond comprehension.

I hope it is a day no one forgets. People come together in tragedy, and that is a good thing. If I can instill in my preschoolers a reason to spread kindness and to be an everyday hero, it is much in part to 9/11. Goodness overcomes evil.

9. This is beautiful, to remember all the brotherhood, the selflessness in the admits of something i still find difficult . I was ill at home in london UK and saw it all play out and… no words just no words..

10. We should all celebrate Kindness, Peace, and Love Day.

You handled this beautifully, Jennie. (I’m not surprised.) I’ll never forget 9-11 because it was the one day I saw many parents (understandably) thrown for a loop. There were parents who came to school in the middle of the day who picked their children up or just came by and hugged them and told them they loved them. That was a hard day to be a teacher. By the time many of my students got to school, the images on television had already been etched into their brains.

12. It’s a wonderful thing to teach young children to honor the brave people who scarified for us, Jennie!

13. This is wonderfful. Keeping in mind what so many people had done saving others.

14. Wonderful. American patriotism is a marvelous thing.

15. dgkaye says: