Friday happy dance

If you love Motown as much as I do, here is a double dose of the best! I think I need to play this for the children on Monday. They can help me with the ‘cool moves’.

bluebird of bitterness

View original post

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Friday happy dance

I was a huge ‘Soul Boy’ and Motown Fan. (I still am, though not so lively as I was)
    Of all the motown groups, my favourites back in the day were the The Elgins, and The Marvelettes. I wore out the .45s of ‘My Baby Must Be A Magician’ by The Marvelettes, and ‘Heaven Must Have Sent You’ by The Elgins. Luckily, I now have them all on compilation CDs.

I loved the Marvelettes! My 45’s were pretty shot, too. ‘Shout’ by the Isley Brothers is still in pretty good condition. I took better care of my ablums. The video on the post is good! Glad this made you smile, too.

Gotta love Motown, Jennie! 😊

3. Thats great! Fantastic, Jennie! Thank you for sharing. Have a nice weekend! xx Michael

4. Jim Borden says:

you’re right – that will get you movin’!

5. VJ says:

This made me smile. When I taught grade 7/8, I used to have Soul Train Fridays, where I put on old Motown and the kids would form an aisle, one student at a time dancing down. They loved it.

I love that!! I do Conga Line dancing with my preschoolers. I also play my old record albums. Just introducing a record player is exciting. You could hear a pin drop. Here’s to music and dancing in school!

6. beth says:

ysy! I love my Motown and will be sure to share it with the class. every Friday we have dance party Friday and this will be perfect!

This will be perfect for your Friday dance party! Motown is the best!

Beth, on a side note I remember being in bed at night in 1964, listening to the radio. You could only get the far away broadcasts at night. I was listening to ‘Cousin Brucie’ in New York. He told everyone how the parents in Ann Arbor banned their children from listening to Motown. Really. How terrible. Thank goodness times have changed.

7. bosssybabe says:

So interesting you mentioned this! My 8th grade teacher got us into 50s, 60s music including Motown! I have such a soft spot for this type of music 🙂

That is wonderful! Your 8th grade teacher knew how to connect with her students.
      Music makes a huge difference. You remember 8th grade and still have a soft spot- that’s proof. I bring in my record player to school. That in itself is a wonder for children. Then, I play my record albums. OMG. it is science and a dance fest on steroids.

8. These took me right back to junior high–in the best possible way!

9. I loved all the Motown music. In Australia we heard the music, but rarely saw film of the stars. Tamla Motown name sounded so exotic, I didn’t know till recent years that Motown stood for motor; when I was a teenager I knew nothing about Detroit.

Great sound—the kind that will be popular in more than just one generation.

Jennie, we loved those sounds, too. My wife liked the groups when they wore suits and did their dancing behind the lead singer. Happy days!

12. Elizabeth says:

I hope you can watch the “Summer Of Soul” documentary shot in Harlem in 1969. Great time!

13. Catching up with WordPress, and listened to this, and it made my day. Thanks. Hope your pupils come up with some great moves.