Childhood and Summer, Then and Now

On summer evenings my greatest pleasure is sitting on the porch and reading.  My porch has soft lighting and wood everywhere; bare wood and rough wood.  The ceiling is the roughest wood of all, and my husband wants to paint it.  Oh, no!  That would be a travesty.  I knew it would, but I didn’t know why… until I sat out on the porch this week.

I heard thunderstorms in the distance.  I stopped reading to listen and just be in the moment.  I was transported back to my childhood at summer camp, Camp Dekanawida in Salt Rock, WV.  This was overnight camp.  There were no day camps or sports camps.  Camp was, well… real camp.  We slept in a cabin, learned swimming and archery, sang songs every morning and evening.  I remember the nighttime counselor hunt, the bonfires, and the hikes.  To this day, I can still sing the camp song.  Every word.

It’s been sixty years.  Seems like yesterday.

My porch and all the rough wood, along with the thunderstorms, brought me back to my childhood and to summer camp.  That’s why I didn’t want to paint or change the wood.  It was a link to my best memories and to what shaped me as a child, and as an adult.

I love music.  Today I sing with gusto, and  pull children into songs from patriotic to  fun.  I introduce them to opera, and classical music.  We sing,”Old MacDonald” in Italian.  I am constantly humming and bringing music to children.  I know this all started with Morning Sing at Camp Dekanawida.

I love stories; telling stories and reading aloud began at camp in the cabin, and around the campfire.  No, it did not begin at home.  Summer camp was full of stories.  There was nothing else but each other and the big, wide world.  So, stories and talking, and getting along were important.  Ghost stories were scary, yet fun.

I learned to be brave.  I mastered a jackknife dive.  I went into the woods at night.  I pitched a tent.

In the words of the classic book, Charlotte’s Web, “…where there would be no parents to guard them or guide them.”  We had each other.

Fast forward to today at my school’s summer camp.  Jackson is in my group.  He is now seven (a big guy).  Years ago he was in my preschool class and the champion of my chapter reading.  It is wonderful to connect with a child again!  We haven’t missed a beat.

So what happened here?  We sat outside to talk and laugh.  Then we fooled around inside.  Bunny ears on the photo were perfect.  Camp and the great outdoors will do that.  I am giving Jackson and my other campers a small taste of camp in my childhood.  Summer and camp brings all the important things to life: laughing and being silly, and discovering the wonders of the great outdoors.

It’s the best.  I learned that sixty years ago.

This entry was posted in Early Education, Imagination, storytelling, summer camp and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

69 Responses to Childhood and Summer, Then and Now

1. lisan1128 says:

What a beautiful camp story! Jackson and the campers are in for a great summer with you!

2. Those sound like great experiences and memories. It’s wonderful that you get to share and encourage what you got from the experiences with other children. It’s nice to see a child who has grown a bit and see how they have changed.

I have always been so envious of American porches. They don’t really exist on houses in the UK. I don’t know why, I have always presumed it is because we don’t generally have good enough weather to use them.
    We don’t have the tradition of summer camps in the same way as you do over there either.
    Two American exports I would really welcome over here.

Both are certainly a good thing to experience. Porches vary from enclosed and screened like mine, to wide open except for a roof. Rain or shine, it is a great place to be. How interesting that they’re not prevalent in the UK. And, what do most children do in the summer? Day camps?

• beetleypete says:

Camps are few and far between over here. There are some Soccer camps, and various local authorities provide play centres.
        But most kids either play in the parks and swimming pools, or on computers.

All great summer activities for children. The old camps that still exist and haven’t changed are the best. They don’t cater to what is popular. They don’t need to. I read a wonderful story of two older men who had been friends for years. They were sitting on a lake and heard a bell. One gentleman remarked that he hadn’t heard a bell like that since he was a child at Camp William Lawrence. His friend was floored, and said that he was at the same camp and vividly remembers the sound of the bell. What a memory, and what a story that they both unknowingly shared. Thank you, Pete. Apologies for the long story. Best to you!

• beetleypete says:

No need for an apology. It’s a great story!

4. Wonderful Jennie. So nice that you can pass this on to the younger generation.

5. Beautifully written!

6. John Kraft says:

There are few thins nicer than a front porch.
    Delightful.

7. Pingback: Childhood and Summer, Then and Now post by Jennie Fitzkee — @jlfatgcs A Teacher’s Reflections | Talmidimblogging

I have special memories of camp as a child as well. So nice you can reproduce that feeling for the kids today. I will be a facilitator at a Book Camp in Vancouver this summer for 8 to 11-year-olds. Can’t wait.

That sounds like wonderful summer, Darlene. Tell me about “book camp”. Our libraries have summer reading problems, but I haven’t heard of a book camp. What books will you use? Camp is terrific!

• Darlene says:

Here is the website for the book camp. I am listed under workshops. http://www.vpl.ca/bookcamp It is for kids who want to write. How I would have loved to attend something like this as a tween. I will use my books as well as some classics to give examples. Any you would recommend?

Looks like a great camp, Darlene. Thanks for the website. A full week, except for a half day on Friday, is terrific. I would highly recommend Kate DiCamillo books. They have hit home runs every read. If the group is mostly girls, Raymie Nightingale. If it is a mix, Flora and Ulysses, or The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. Keep me posted!

• Darlene says:

Thanks. I love Kate DiCamllo books. Great suggestions.

My pleasure, Darlene. 🙂

9. Reblogged this on Smorgasbord – Variety is the spice of life and commented:
    Although school is out for the summer Jennie Fitzkee is still spending time with children at the summer camp.. introducing them to the great outdoors, singing around the campfire and learning a little independence.. as she did 60 years ago..

10. Alice Collins says:

Jen – What beautiful memories! I love the connections you make between your roots and your classroom.

11. Sounds wonderful. Coming from a family with six children in the 40’s and 50’s there was no money for summer camp. We lived in Queens, New York, and, the streets and parks were our camps.We played stick ball, box ball, jump rope, potsy, knock hockey, rode bikes, build forts, played board games, read books from the library, went to the local movie house on Saturday, picnic in one yard or another with food and snacks our mothers made for us, and many other activities.We would ride the public bus to Rockaway Beach or the Aquacade for a day of swimming At night we played Hide and go Seek, Ring-a-Leaveo, Stoop Ball, we would lite up punks and sing on the street corners with all the neighborhood kids.I too have fond memories, just different, ☺☺☺

Patricia, this is such a wonderful story. Thank you! Summer memories are the best. Potsy, Ring-a-Leavo, Stoop Ball are unknown to me, yet I can see them in my mind, in the neighborhood. Just great! And singing on the street corners… that’s the root of the best music from Philly, New Jersey, and New York. Sigh ❤️ Yes, your summer memories are the same in how important they were, just different. Thank you!! 😀

It’s good to know that you try to bring these quality experiences to the kids in your group. I was never in an organized overnight camp, but had similar experiences with cousins in Virginia.

13. L. Marie says:

What a lovely story! I’m so glad you’re investing in children, Jennie. Their lives are all the richer for it.

14. There is something nostalgic about memories of thunderstorms in childhood, I think. A nice recollection here.

15. ren says:

Not only did you learn it…you LIVED it all these years!
    I believe, when we live what we love, we stop aging in those moments…
    henceforth, is why you are so young and vibrant today.
    Hugz

What wonderful experiences, Jennie. Summer camps are not a “thing” here as they are in the States. I’m interested to learn that camp initiated so many “loves” for you, and that your porch at home rekindles the memories.

It does, Norah. Some of my other bloggers outside the US also tell me that summer camp is not a thing there. Interesting!

• Norah says:

Our summer holidays are not as long as yours. They are only six weeks, and incorporate Christmas and New Year. By the time the New Year has arrived it’s only a few more weeks before we are back to school in mid-late January.

That makes perfect sense as to why you don’t have summer camps. While a long summer break is great for children, they often have to catch up on what they loose academically. Teachers often spend the first few weeks of school in review. So, there are pros and cons.

• Norah says:

I think with your long holidays, the children would need activities like summer camp. Otherwise it would be a long time with “nothing to do”. The “summer slide” is a problem here too, but the children don’t have as long to forget. I agree with you. As with everything, there are pros and cons.

17. frenchc1955 says:

Thank you so much for this wonderful post!

18. frenchc1955 says:

Reblogged this on charles french words reading and writing and commented:
    This is a wonderful post!

19. I’m with you on the porch remaining rustic. Our wood ceiling had a lot of stamping on it though (numbers), so after a few years, I finally decided it needed a new look. So now it is sky blue with clouds to keep that outdoorsy feel to it. Have a great time at summer camp!

I went to summer camp for two weeks each summer. My two brothers went over the same period which I’m sure gave my parents their own version of fun times. 😉
    I remember several camp songs which I sang to my children every night for years after their chapter books, ages 5 -14. The oldest read her own books silently, while her younger sister and brother still listened. We learned how to make lanyards, row boats, hike using a compass, earn badges and eventually I got to be a docent in Washington DC.
    My brother Rich made Eagle Scout and I made G.S. Ambassador. I think someone reading this may be glad if I say there are camp scholarships which help pay for camping which I applied for. My oldest daughter loved G.S. horseback camp. 🙂 My son enjoyed an outdoorsman camp through church. He learned so many guy skills which I couldn’t reach him like marksmanship, archery and whittling.

I so enjoyed reading this, Robin. Your camp experiences were wonderful, and you continued to share them. They stuck with you. Don’t you feel they shaped your character? Like being a GS Ambassador? Thank you so much for sharing your story!

• reocochran says:

I was so lucky! I just was hoping to inspire someone who may feel their budget might not stretch far enough. My parents could afford camps for us, but as a single Mom, I needed help.
        You know what is funny, Jennie? My grandson and I met twin boys who were 8 years old at the pool two days ago on Sat. They said their parents were sending them away to camp! They said they hoped there was a “zip line!” I told them, “No matter what, try everything!” I hope arts and crafts, boating and singing are included. 🙂 🙂

Yes! Try it all. It feels so good to be able to give a few ‘words of wisdom’ to someone off on a new adventure, doesn’t it?

21. In the words of the classic book, Charlotte’s Web, “…where there would be no parents to guard them or guide them.” We had each other.

I loved those lines, as well. I can definitely relate to them and know that some of my students would be able to relate to them, as well. That’s amazing, so you work all year long then as a teacher? No summers off for you? I’m not surprised and am in constant awe of your work ethics and dedication.

Thank you, Rose! Summers are Summer Camp at school- half the hours and all fun. So I do have a break! I’m glad you enjoyed the post. 🙂

A wonderful story of earlier times that we all say we’re better times. Just think how cell phones ‘would have added’ to that experience…NOT! I love the porch, don’t paint the ceiling unless you paint stars on it and put a sleeping bag and air mattress out there at night!😉

23. I totally get why you don’t want to change that room, Jennie – it’s has a warm, rich, camp/vacation feel! I have wonderful memories of overnight camp too. Those were magical times. Have fun at summer camp, connecting with the “big” kids once again. 😀

Thanks, Diana. So glad you have camp memories, too. Yes, they are magical. I’ll be having fun with the big kids, for sure. You never know what might inspire a blog post! 🙂