Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go,” -Dr. Seuss-

image

Today Dr. Seuss would have been one-hundred-and-thirteen years old. His books continue to be popular with children. Most importantly, they have taught, dare I say millions, of children to read. The text is rhyming and full of imaginary characters. No wonder these books never go out of print or out of style.

My children learned how to read with Green Eggs and Ham. Once they mastered recognizing “Sam I am”, the world of reading opened wide.  And, what a wonderful world it was.

Some years ago a parent asked me to write a message to her child in the Dr. Seuss Book, Oh, the Places You’ll Go!   This was her plan:

Jennie, you’re his first teacher.  I will ask  you, and every teacher he has through high school, to write a message in this book.  It will become his high school graduation present.

Oh my goodness.  What a terrific idea, and what a powerful gift to your eighteen-year-old.This has since become popular for parents to do for their children.  Wonderful, considering the book and its theme.  Thank you, Dr. Seuss!

A funny Dr. Seuss story:  I read How the Grinch Stole Christmas.  Collin insisted that it was not the real story.  “Jennie, the grinch is white.  He’s supposed to be green.”  No matter how many times I talked about the book being first, before the movie, Collin had a hard time understanding a white grinch.

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss

This entry was posted in Early Education, picture books, reading, reading aloud, Teaching young children and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss

Our daughter learned to read reading these books. We would read them to her, and after a while she would read along. We just assumed she had memorized them. Then one day, I brought a new one home and she said she wanted to read it to us. And she did! To this day, she remains a voracious reader.

Isn’t that wonderful, Dan? I’m not surprised at all. I love hearing these stories. Without getting too wordy (maybe need a blog post), Dr. Seuss books are labeled “I Can Read”. They are perfect for learning how to read. Reading-aloud is far more, and I don’t wan’t fellow readers to confuse the two. Stayed tuned. Many thanks!

2. That is such a beautiful idea to get the book signed by all the child’s teachers. Happy birthday to Dr Seuss!

3. We had our first Read Across America night and it was awesome !

At school teachers each read the same book in their class and send home information to parents. What did you do in the evening?

• We had so many stations- bingo black out poetry cake walk build a dr Seuss hat. Everything they won free books and they were able to win these amazing baskets at the end of the night !

Wonderful! Getting families involved in books and reading is important. And Dr. Seuss gave you a perfect opportunity.

What a lovely Mum with foresight, and how great for you to be the first to write in the book and set the standard. I love that idea. I’d like a do-over please. 🙂

I confess that I have never read a Dr Seuss book. Then again, I have no children, and those books were not a common sight in my childhood in England, in the 1950s.
    I love the story of the teachers writing in the book. We should all have such memories to treasure.

My kids loved these books too. Yes, the movies can change the perception at times.

7. This is great! I’d heard of graduates getting that book, but filled with teacher notes?! How perfect. I, too, wish my kids had such a gift.

8. You have the most fun with your class! Such a heartwarming story about the parent asking you to write a message in her child’s book for a graduation present. You inspire many. 🌹

9. Dr. Seuss, to me one of the greatest authors. Especially known as a child author, but also he has written some seriously good adult novels too. May his tribe increase! A great post about a great man!

10. Pingback: Fun Friday – Dr. Seuss: Poetic Tribute | Hunt's Clubhouse

11. Oh Jennie, thank you for sharing! I love this. ❤ Dr. Seuss inspires such creativity. So glad to know you and connect with you on this blog. Blessings ~Debbie

12. Another wonderful post filled with inspiration. I love Dr. Seuss. Familiarity came late in life for me on that one but I read and bought them for my last husbands grandchildren. There are some mothers that just get it right. My brain didn’t go there way back when. Great idea though.

13. I love reading these books to my daughter. He has beautiful messages too like Horton hears a who and the grinch stole Christmas.

14. utkarsh7668 says:

Happy bday DR SEUESS SORRY FOR THAT I WAS LATE WISH UHH A HAPPY LIFE.😊😊😊

15. Di says:

Wonderful post Jennie.
    I gave a copy of ‘Oh the places you’ll go’ to my children as they embarked on a stint in London after their final year of school. I’d heard it at a graduation ceremony and thought it was amazing.