Terrific Children’s Books – #1

Looking ahead to Christmas and gift giving, books are always a timeless and welcome gift.  I have found a few excellent books which I want to share with you.  I had to buy them, as they’re that good.  Children in my classroom heartily agree!

In today’s world children need to develop social and emotional skills now more than ever.  They have been isolated with Covid for a long time, and while they’re (mostly) back in school, it’s just not the same thing.  Masks and required social distancing has taken its toll on what is most important for children. So, when a book is a great story and also a piece of what they need, it’s win-win.

The Rabbit Listened
by Cori Doerrfeld

Taylor builds a magnificent block structure.  Clearly, all of his energy and creative ideas have gone into this building.

Something amazing.  Taylor was proud.

And then… a terrible thing happens.  What can Taylor do?

But then, out of nowhere…

The animals think they can help.  One by one, each animal stops by to offer Taylor advice.  Chicken, bear, hyena, kangaroo, elephant, and more all have very different ideas as to what Taylor should do.  Chicken wanted to talk, talk, talk.  Taylor didn’t feel like talking.

Next came bear.

“Grarr!  Rarrr!  How horrible!  I bet you feel so angry!
Let’s shout about it!  Garr!  RARRR!  GRAAAAR!”
But Taylor didn’t feel like shouting.
So the bear left.

And so the story continues with animal after animal telling Taylor what to do.  Nothing felt right.  Until the rabbit stops by and sits beside Taylor – just being there.

When Taylor is ready, he recounts what each animal has said to do, and the rabbit listens.

Through it all, the rabbit never left.

Talking about it, becoming angry, remembering how it was built, laughing about what happened, knocking down someone else’s and more weren’t the right things to do at all.  At last Taylor decides to build again.

“It’s going to be amazing.”

Children love books with animals.  They also like seeing the animals feeling and acting the same way that they do.  Every child relates to Taylor and enjoys block building.  This book has it all.  Highly recommended for the reader and also the reader aloud.

Stay tuned for #2, Stick and Stone.

This entry was posted in Book Review, children's books, Early Education, Expressing words and feelings, Kindness, picture books, preschool, reading aloud, Teaching young children and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to Terrific Children’s Books – #1

What a fabulous book and just what kids need.

Looks lovely, Jennie!

3. beth says:

ooh, a new one to me! this deals with feelings and issues that my class deals with on a regular basis. thanks for sharing!

That looks like a wonderful book, Jennie.

5. Good job Jennie, almost makes me wish I had kids again. Almost 😉😊

6. quiall says:

Listening is perhaps the most important skill a person can have and it is best when it is learned young and learned well.

7. A great story, Jennie. Thanks for sharing.

8. What a fantastic way to present an important life lesson–equally important for adults, if they didn’t get it when they were children.

9. Jim Borden says:

sounds like a great book; I like the simple drawings…

Thanks very much for the recommendation, Jennie.

11. cindy knoke says:

I will get this for my grand twins this Christmas. Thanks for the review Jennie & cheers!

12. frenchc1955 says:

Reblogged this on charles french words reading and writing and commented:
    Here is another wonderful post from the excellent teacher, Jennie!

13. What a wonderful post, Jennie. I can just imagine the children’s faces while you read to them. Hugs on the wing.

14. CarolCooks2 says:

A fabulous review of a book with an important message 🙂 Looking forward to seeing what’s next! x

This is a new one for me, Jennie. I’m looking forward to the others that you’re recommending.

16. Léa says:

I wonder if it is available in French. I have a few young neighbors that I like to remember with little gifts and my first thought is always a book. It would be nice to see a copy on our village library shelf as well.

That’s a good question, Lea. I don’t know if it’s available in French. I’ll be posting more children’s books. Best to you, Lea!

• Léa says:

Thank you, Jennie. I love putting a new book in the hands of a child and a recommendation from you carries a lot of weight. Charlotte’s Web is no longer in print in French and it took me more than two years to track down an old copy for a very special young man. It was well worth it. Thank you for all that you do. All the best to you my friend.

Our son is not only a book lover, but tracks down old or out of print books. He swears by ABE books. Check them out, as they might have a source for ones in French. Many thanks!!

• Léa says:

Thank you for the information. I shall check them out.

You are welcome!

17. a wonderful book for children, Jennie…

18. bosssybabe says: