SO NOT MARY POPPINS! by Margo Sorenson

Another perfect case for reading aloud.

Nerdy Book Club

The world of children is abuzz! Disney says its new Mary Poppins movie released in December will be truer to the books than the original movie in 1964, starring Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews.

Ah! Truer to the books—what a wonderful concept! Reading the Mary Poppins series aloud to children who have seen only that 1963 first movie and have never read the books is illuminating, as I discovered this last summer, when I read aloud two of the Mary Poppins books, MARY POPPINS IN THE PARK and MARY POPPINS, to my grandchildren, ages five and nine, the ages I was when I first read the books. Yes, they could have read the books on their own, but, as we know, reading aloud to young readers is a true delight, because it encourages questioning, dialogue, meaningful conversations, and unique insights. When I started out to read these favorite…

View original post 811 more words

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to SO NOT MARY POPPINS! by Margo Sorenson

A great article on the benefits of reading out loud to children.

Yet more evidence, if any more was needed, of the wonderful benefits of reading aloud.
    Nice reblog, Jennie. 🙂

3. Ellen says:

“More than all the academic benefits, the most important thing about reading aloud to a child is giving them the gift of the joy of reading.” – Ernest Morrell. My grandson, Benjamin, turned 5 years old today. We celebrated with cupcakes and beginning a book that I read with his mother many years ago, Roald Dahl’s “The Enormous Crocodile”. I think that he and I are the closest when snuggled together in a chair and lost in the pages of a book. Thank-you for sharing this post.

Oh, Ellen… I love, LOVE your story, and your quote. Thank you! The benefits of reading aloud are exponential. And you are fortunate to experience that. Reading aloud is the most important thing I do in my classroom every day. I’m so glad you enjoyed the post.

And reading aloud is such a pleasure for the reader, as well.

Thanks for sharing this post, Jennie. I totally agree, especially with the final statement:’ As readers, writers, and teachers of children’s literature, by reading aloud to children and engaging in dialogue with them, we can enlarge both our and their horizons. What a way to pay it forward!’