Poetic Multiplication Table

WORDS IN THE LIGHT

“He says no with his head
but he says yes with his heart
he says yes to what he loves
he says no to the teacher …”

(Jacques Prévert, The Dunce)

~

one times ten is
five fields of flowers

two times nine is
seven blue skies

three times eight is
one thousand and one Nights

four times seven is
forty rainbows

five times six is
one ocean more

six times five is
two trees under the full Moon

seven times four is
thousands of honeybees

eight times three is
sixty rhymes with glee

and nine times two is
one hundred ways to stay

a child bad at maths
but good at poetry

© Frédéric Georges Martin

~

illustration: The Dunce
(Harold Copping, 1886)

View original post

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Poetic Multiplication Table

1. This fits me to a T. Numbers are so much more than math.

A poetic times table. Something different and uplifting indeed.
    Happy New Year to you and your family, Jennie.

3. How delightful, creative, and charming. Thank you for sharing Jennie! 🙂

I wasn’t aware of this one, Jennie. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. There is always something one can enjoy and excel at, be it maths, poetry or other.

5. frenchc1955 says:

Jennie, this is lovely.

6. dolphinwrite says:

Enjoyed reading. Thanks. Somehow, I taught myself the tables in the 3rd grade, because I didn’t like those flash cards, so I sat down, row by row, also writing problems down out of order until I knew them by heart. Took a couple or so months, but whatever works. Something for everyone.

I wish I had done what you did. Bravo! I hated those flash cards. I was more like the child in the post. At least he had a poem to compensate / complement his lack of math. Yes, something for everyone. Best to you.

7. dolphinwrite says:

Each child, Jennie, is a gem. Each person comes into this world special. Yes, there are subjects that need teaching, but how much more enriching if we encourage students to think for themselves. I’ve never had more fun then when I understood something or tried something never before done but knew I would figure it out. Love it when I see those little lights of “ah haa” in the classroom.

You said this beautifully. If we look at each child as a gem, encourage and support them, the world is their oyster, and they have a strong sense of self. And the best part is the fun and the ‘ah ha’ like you had. Thank you!

• dolphinwrite says:

Yes, Jennie. It’s good we understand the possibilities and support these young people as we would have wanted for ourselves. It goes around. Like you, helping others, then they help the next generation. I told some classes that I can teach falling out of a chair, but what’s more important is they learn to “see” for themselves, which is a real education.

8. I love this Jennie! The numbers connect right and left brain neurons creatively! Thanks for sharing. I am a Creative Life Coach and have a poetry blog in case you have time to read? http://www.peacockpoetryblog.wordpress.com and I am also on Instagram as #coachingcreatively in case you use this medium? Have a good day? Sam 🙂