The Importance of Imagination

Imagination is the most exciting, and the most powerful tool I have when teaching children. It’s the foundation for learning, and for wanting to learn. The best learning that takes place in my classroom is rooted in imagination; from reading aloud to linking Einstein and Mozart… well, this blog post says it best. It captures the essence of why imagination is important. And, it is!

charles french words reading and writing

Imagination is one of the most important aspects of life and of writing. We should cherish it and help develop it in others.  Here are a few quotations for your consideration:

albert-einstein-1144965_960_720

“I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”

Albert Einstein

carl-sagan-647717_960_720

“Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.”

Carl Sagan

marktwainpd2746834

“Reality can be beaten with enough imagination.”

Mark Twain

View original post

This entry was posted in Early Education, Imagination, Quotes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to The Importance of Imagination

1. Nina says:

Very true! 😊 Even great inventions are brought about by imaginations! 😊

This is very special to remind parents, teachers and others who work with children. Taking extra time to ask them what they think and open ended questions will encourage imagination, Jennie. You do this every day, multiple times a day! 🙂

Thank you, Robin. I will be asking open-ended questions till my last day. How simple and how powerful to spark learning.

• reocochran says:

I know you do this but sometimes it helps when someone who absolutely believes in the way you teach, says things to support your knowledge and experience. I “toot” my horn for You, Jennie. 🙂

Thank you, Robin. I know you are always my champion and horn tooter. It is very nice to have someone believe in you. ❤️🙂👍

3. frenchc1955 says:

Thank you very much!

4. Imagination creates the dream

5. Where would we be without imagination!?

Jennie, another terrific post. I agree 100%. When I graduated from college, my first job as an elementary school teacher saw kids bringing in collections of arrowheads. I would ask the kids to imagine the times and circumstances when these arrowheads were made. That’s when those youngsters came alive.

That is a great story! Real, hands-on, and true stories. That is the spark that ignites their imagination and wanting to learn. When I introduce classical music this spring, I will do it with my record player and albums- something children have never seen. Like your arrowheads, it is simple yet amazing to children. Thank you, Steve.

7. Anoop says:

Exactly. Imagination is the fuel for art.

8. Reblogged this on Pen and Paper and commented:
    Thoughts matter, they stimulate imagination and as written in this post by Jennie, “A Teacher’s Reflections”, the classroom gives voice to young minds.

9. ren says:

I think I would die without my imagination…
    just kidding…(kind of)…. 😀