Welcome to Jennie’s Blog.

I am excited to share with all of you my insights into teaching young children.    There are so many good things that I have written about, from reading aloud to music, art, ‘traveling’ across the world, eating in our Chinese restaurant, quilting, play performances, and so on.  Each time something great happens in my classroom I write about it.  Often the most important things are the little things, as they become the foundation for learning.  It’s all those little things that are really the big things, and that’s what I write about.  Let me give you an example:  Music is a big part of my program, and a few years ago the children were particularly excited about singing “God Bless America”.  I’m not sure why, as we sing many types of songs at school.  I paid attention and realized they needed more.  They had begun to sing together on their own and even stage themselves on the playground to sing for other classes.  In November I invited soldiers into the classroom so we could sing to them and thank them.  It was wonderful, but still not enough for the children.  In December we made our own book, based on the song, for our families.  This was an enormous and collaborative effort.  Don’t ask me why, but I could sense that I needed to do more for the children.  I contacted a master quilter who had been a frequent guest in my class.  She is a grandmother figure who adores the children.  With her help, the children designed a quilt based on the song “God Bless America”.  They did everything except the actual sewing, which they watched the quilter do.  That quilt traveled to the Intrepid Museum in New York City, and is at the Fisher House at Boston’s VA Hospital.  What if I had not paid attention to children singing a favorite song?  Nothing would have happened beyond singing.

Parents and teachers have been reading my work for years, and begging me to share what I know with ‘the world’.  So, I am doing just that.  I’ll post on my blog every week, from ‘soup to nuts’.  Look for my next post in a few days.  I hope you enjoy reading.

22 Responses to Welcome to Jennie’s Blog.

1. Terri Martin says:

Jennie, You did it! I am so proud of you and more proud to say you are my colleague and friend.
    Can’t wait for the next one! Terri

2. liss besse says:

Nice job Jennie! I am so glad you are doing this! You hsve enriched so many kids lives for so many years! I hope you do more on Read aloud WVa.
    Love you!

3. Tracey Smith says:

This is so wonderful! I am so proud of you and will be a “follower”. You have inspired both of our children throughout their academic years … you have a gift. Thank you for sharing it!

4. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, experience and excitement with us! I can’t wait to keep reading. You inspire me!

5. Lorrie Morgan says:

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, experience and excitement! I can’t wait to read more of your blog. You inspire me!

6. Noreen Keras says:

Your a true inspiration Jennie! Keep on sharing!

7. Sarah Belcher says:

I am so impressed and inspired Jennie! Looking forward to following you! Great job!

8. Kerry Cusick says:

Jennie, I love your first entry and can’t wait to read more. Your “voice” is so evident and displays your dedication to all children and their “gifts.” Thank you!!

9. Em Daigle says:

Great work, Jennie! You are an inspiration to all, and I’m already excited to read the next entry!

10. Lisa Stafford says:

Congratulations, Jennie on your blog, and thank you for the words of wisdom and inspiration!!

11. Deb McLean says:

Hi Jennie!
    Thanks for sharing! You are a true inspirations:). Looking forward to updates.
    Warmly,
    Deb McLean

12. Shelley Grove says:

Let’s look outside the box even more and we will see that someday, there will be a Jennie version of “Teaching in the Key of Life” !!

13. Kerry says:

Jennie: Thank you for sharing and starting this blog. You are such an inspiration to our children and the next generation. Some people never find their passion in life…You define the word PASSION through all your teachings and we are so blessed to have you in our Circle of Life. Looking forward to future post!! Kerry McKennon

14. Marie Forst says:

Jennie, I am so happy I found you through a wordpress tag! We are similar in our love and respect for an emergent curriculum and the desire to help others understand what is happening in our classrooms. I’m looking forward to reading more about your class in the future.

15. jlfatgcs says:

Marie, your blog is wonderful! We both know what matters most with young children. I have so much to share, and so do you.

16. Jyothi says:

I love your spirit and your genuine love for your students. You are so right that children need a voice and it takes truly gifted teachers to encourage and foster that voice through creative classrooms. Your students are blessed.