My Portrait

Can you tell I’m a robot?  Isn’t this the best portrait of me, ever?

We’re learning about robots in school this month.  It’s exciting for children.  So far we have built our own giant classroom robot,  played with Snap-Bots and Alpha-bots, conducted science experiments, and have written a group story about a robot.

We haven’t drawn robots, yet.

But Aubrey did.  She is the youngest child in our class.

Aubrey:  “Jennie, here is a picture of you.  You’re a robot.”

Me:  “Aubrey, this is wonderful!  It looks just like me.  Thank you.”

Aubrey smiled so hard that her cheeks must have hurt.

The youngest child was the first child to draw a robot.  I’m so lucky it was a picture of me.

This entry was posted in art, Early Education, Inspiration, preschool, Teaching young children, Uncategorized, wonder and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

63 Responses to My Portrait

I always love my children’s depictions of us!

That’s wonderful, Jennie. Just as I would imagine Robot Jennie 😊

3. Robot Jennie does look very teacherly. I can only imagine how excited Aubrey must have been to tell her family how much you liked her drawing of you.

Since robots are amazing, I can understand why she drew one as you!

5. quiall says:

She captured the most important part of you… Your smile! She did it beautifully!

You’re giving the kids a great start in STEM curriculum, Professor Jennie👨🏻‍🎓

7. willedare says:

What a delightful blog post. Hurrah for all that you do here on planet earth, robot Jennie!!!

8. Now, that’s a treasure! 🥰

9. Amazing. I think it’s something worth giving a though if a kid can find a seamless connection between humans and robots. Perhaps it’s true that one day robots will take over human connections, haha. Just thinking it though 😀. Thanks for sharing this, Jennie. 💕🌟🌟💕

Another one to add to your collection, and to be treasured.

11. Congratulations on the honor! 🙂

12. Jim Borden says:

my drawings still look like that; now I’ll just tell people I was drawing a robot…

13. Don Ostertag says:

That’s a refrigerator door hang up, Jennie

14. Ellen says:

Moments such as this are some of life’s best rewards! You are lovingly captured on paper by this wee artist. As you may recall, I was a nurse for differently abled children for most of my career. Your delightful post prompts me to share a similar story about one of them. For many years I was the night nurse for a little girl with learning disabilities and many serious health issues. After becoming school age and some health issue stability was attained, she eagerly attended with a personal nurse. In the early years she printed words as they sounded to her and loved to draw. One morning I was give a piece of construction paper that she had printed “4 Ln” and beneath had drawn a lopsided heart. The heart has dot eyes, a big curving smile, and line arms and legs. Under the drawing she had printed “thz iz u”. I matted & framed that art and to this day it remains on top of one of my bookshelves. “Every child is an artist, with imagination and the artistic instinct.” – Percy MacKaye in1915. Thank-you!

Oh my goodness! That story is just wonderful. No wonder you have it framed and put it on your bookshelf. You have warmed my day, Ellen. Thank you!

15. Elizabeth says:

A very cheerful robot.

She nailed the Jennie smile.😊

17. Mireya says:

That’s it! That is what we all need in our lives…to draw because we want to, how want to, and give it to we want to. Indeed, I am an artist!

18. Oh Jennie what a compliment to you. Your one arm is definitely longer than your legs. You have your arms outstretched to those children in love more often than anything else. Beautiful!!

19. The Hook says:

Oh, to be able to see through a child’s eyes again…

20. You look just like a robot, Jennie. What a wonderful portrait! Love it.

21. This is adorable, Jennie.

22. CarolCooks2 says:

Oh Jenny, it’s the best picture a big smile and arms outstretched…Just perfect!

23. What a great depiction, Jennie! It seems you are preparing them for the M.I.T.? 🙂 xx Michael

24. bosssybabe says:

hehe Aubrey is a wonderful artist! 🙂 looks just like you!

25. Athlenaha says: