Goodnight Moon – Part 2

“Goodnight Moon” keeps growing and evolving.  Children have heard the words over and over again, a beloved daily ritual before chapter reading.  Recently they have joined me in reciting the entire book.  The Helper of the Day can stand alongside me to recite the book, or do it on their own (with help.)

Today Winn was the Helper of the Day.  He stood tall and proud, and belted out “Goodnight Moon” like he was the last man standing.  I was humbled.  He nailed it.

Never underestimate children.  They have far more heart, gut, passion, and bravery than we realize.  Give children opportunities.  Let them shine.  Read aloud.  They’re our future.  Winn certainly is.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to Goodnight Moon – Part 2

1. willedare says:

Yes. Let us not underestimate these wonderful beings. I love Winn’s arm movements while reciting. A child was doing the exact same thing during class yesterday; so we all did it together for a while during one song…

I loved his arms! They kept the beat of his chant. If we had been up and not on our nap mats, we may have copied him, too. Thank you, Will.

2. Thank you for rememberin your advices, Jennie! Its so true, without trusting in the younger ones, we sparely can hope for a good future. Best wishes, Michael

3. Bravo, Winn! Applause, applause!!

4. quiall says:

If only we could keep that spirit of a child alive into adulthood. Unfortunately life too often makes us jaded. Maybe your kids will keep it.

Well done to Winn. And he timed his recital with his arm movements too. 🙂

That’s so sweet!

7. Filarance says:

Sooo sweet and awesome

8. Bravo Winn! He’s quite the storyteller and his arm movements are priceless.☺️

Oh, this is lovely!

That is just so adorable. The enthusiasm is contagious.

11. Elizabeth says:

Clearly a rap poet in training. He has the rhythm and arm movements perfectly coordinated with text. On to a poetry slam with Winn.

I think you know by now that we share similar philosophies about this, Jennie. I’m a huge proponent of giving children safe public speaking opportunities. You are helping Winn and other students like him to become successful, feel confident, and be more likely to try this in the future. Yeah for Goodnight Moon as the vehicle to help children get there.

Yes, we absolutely share the same philosophies. Give a child a chance to shine should be every teacher’s mantra. Here’s proof: Winn is only three-years-old, yet he surprised us with his gut and determination. On the other hand, the child who is a leader, sometimes bossy, could not recite “Goodnight Moon” alone. As much as she wanted to, she asked for my help many times.

It never occurred to Winn to ask for help. Thank goodness reciting Goodnight Moon gave him the opportunity to shine.

13. Winn is adorable, Jennie. What a lovely song.

14. Jennie, I’m in awe of the level of inspiration you impart to these children. The video is adorable. I’m so glad you included it. Hugs on the wing.

15. Oh my! He’s so stinkin’ CUTE!! I love the way he slaps his arms and hands…relieving tension perhaps while he’s on stage. 😀 Thanks for the big smile this morning, Jennie!