My apologies for neglecting to include “A Bear Called Paddington”, or frankly any of Michael Bond’s delightful Paddington Bear books in my favorite bear books blog posts. While this was a serious error, it prompted Geoff Le Pard to forward me the blog post he wrote about Paddington Bear after author Michael Bond died. My goodness, this is a treasure!

First let me say that I read Paddington Bear books to my children. Here are their two favorites, which have probably been read fifty times each.

I had the good fortune to see the Paddington Bear and Michael Bond exhibit in 2018 at the Eric Carle Museum. The collection of bears was charming. And, so was the original artwork.

Can a single book change the life of a person? You bet it can. Geoff is living proof, and he tells the story beautifully, with deep appreciation to Paddington Bear. Here is his story:

TanGental

I don’t struggle for posts, not usually and mostly I know from a way out what I’ll write about. But today my plans were thrown when the news came through that Michael Bond, creator of Paddington Bear had died. Regular readers will know of my love for that little Peruvian Ursus. But, at the risk of trying your patience, dear readers, I have to repeat this post as I have a lot for which  to thank Mr Bond and his clever creation. My life would have taken a  very different course, of that I am certain but for Paddington, and Mr Bond.

***

If I look back up the bannister of my life there have been very few splinters to discombobulate me during my smooth progress to the present day. And that is in large part because of a little Peruvian, marmalade guzzling, antique shop frequenting bear called Paddington. He is, after all…

View original post 1,009 more words

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Michael Bond, creator of Paddington Bear, 1926-2017 #inmemoriam #MichaelBond #Paddingtonbear

A lovely article, full of warm recollections.
    Thanks for reblogging, Jennie.

2. beth says:

thank you for reposting this – he was a wonderful creator of books that children have loved t brought the ages

3. Paddington was the first chapter book I read my children when they were little. I still have the original books and a heart full of wonderful, cozy memories.

4. Annika Perry says:

A wonderful and heartfelt post by Geoff … good for Paddington Bear coming to rescue!😀 He is a classic and on arriving to the UK at six years old, the series was on TV and I was instantly smitten!

Yes, indeed! One of the best posts I’ve read. And it all came down to a bear. ❤️ How wonderful that you arrived in the UK in time to see the series on TV. Paddington Bear is a classic! Thank you, Annika. 🙂

I love Paddington Bear and Geoff´s story!. Funny how one little bear can make a huge difference.

Ah. Dear Paddington!

7. The Hook says:

Thank you for this delightful share, Jennie.

8. calmkate says:

thanks for sharing the link Jennie, a devotee for sure … and I also love Paddington 🙂

I’m another fan of Paddington. I didn’t realize until today that Paddington was born the same year I was. It’s remarkable to think that one author created a character beloved by so many.

10. frenchc1955 says:

Jennie, thank you so much for this!

11. The thought did cross my mind that Paddington should have been among the honored bears–but Geoff’s post more than makes up for the omission!

12. Elizabeth says:

When I was in England in 1974 I bought a Paddington bear, just in time for my daughter born the next year. Thanks for the reposting.

13. L. Marie says:

Wow! I didn’t know the Paddington creator had died. I never read the books, sadly. But now I’d like to. I saw the first movie and thought it absolutely delightful!

I know, it was very sad to learn that he died. They are beloved books still today, and will most likely remain popular for,a,very long time. My children loved them. I will have to watch the movie.

14. You will wondering about, but i know the Paddington Bear, from my childhood. Dont ask me who brought it to us, but we got it. Michael

15. Paddington was a favourite I read to my children, In fact my little boy had to have a paddington on his bedspread and I remember we made together a plaster of paris mould of Paddington bear that I painted for him… 🙂

16. clippingpathcutout says: