Bridges, Old and New, Returning Home

Every bridge along the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut is 1930’s Art Deco.  Each bridge is different, and a piece of art.  I had my iPhone on the dashboard of the car, hoping to capture some beauties.

Winged Victory is a popular favorite.

This is my personal favorite for the pure art.  Scroll in.  Big wow!

The bridge’s end columns are magnificent.

Art Deco at it’s best.

The trip had many other bridges.  All were very different.  Each was beautiful in their own way.  I couldn’t help but think about the commonalities with people.  We are all different and beautiful in our own way.

The Delaware Memorial Bridge is tall and majestic.

This bridge in Annapolis, Maryland is so pretty.

A golden wonder across the Delaware canal.

The best part of our journey was bridging the years with dear friends, hubby’s Commanding Officer in the Navy back in the 70’s and his wonderful wife.  They came to our wedding in 1976.  We keep in touch.

Long live bridges.

This entry was posted in Diversity, geography, history, Inspiration, The Arts, wonder and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Bridges, Old and New, Returning Home

1. Opher says:

It should always be bridges and not walls!

Wonderful bridges!!

3. tidalscribe says:

I find bridges fascinating, and walking over them or goping under them. I especially love Art Deco.

Great to see still you in touch with old friends after so long.
    I was happy to enlarge the photos of those wonderful Art Deco bridges, my favourite style! 🙂

I love bridges, Jennie – all shapes and sizes. I also appreciate old friends. This is a lovely post.

6. Love these – and all around where you live. Too cool.
    The bond between your hubby and his former Commanding Officer is touching.

Wonderful! Wonderful! Bridges and more bridges! I love this theme. By the way, that is a great reunion photo. You’re always smiling , big time, Jennie, and it’s contagious. You’re having a nice summer, I can see. Take care.

What amazing bridges. Thanks for the great photos. And how wonderful to keep in youch with long-time friends!

9. mimionlife says:

I am fascinated with bridges. We have a unique bridge here in the Low Country. Very interesting to watch huge ships pass under the bridge. There is also a nice park near the bridge.

10. Beautiful bridges, Jennie. I never tire of photographing bridges.

11. abbiosbiston says:

I have seen some beautiful bridges around the world. London has some really interesting ones!

12. AJ says:

The bridges are all gorgeous but the first is my favourite! You’re right- they’re a good metaphor for people:)

13. Beautiful details, and originality on those bridges. Great post of these bridges and old, and dear friends.

14. Bridges have it made in every way. The designs are interesting and varied, they connect things, and they provide a path to other opportunities.

15. Elizabeth says:

I am most impressed by the lack of cars on the Merritt during any time in July!

16. These are fantastic bridges. So much talent in the design and building of them.

17. swamiyesudas says:

And Long live my Favourite Teacher, (that’s You, Jennie)!

The bridges are really Beautiful! How, Often we miss the Beauty in the Uncommon and Unexpected places! Our loss.

I also liked what Opher wrote:

‘Bridges and not walls!’

18. I have never looked at bridges the way you do and now I see them in a whole new light. I’ve always been a little afraid of them. But bridges are good things, walls not so much. Portland. OR is a city of bridges. I think I will appreciate them more now. Taking you to see special people makes them all the better.

19. Thank you for taking the Merritt Parkway bridge photos for us! Much appreciated.

The bridges are beautiful, but the bridges between friends are the best.

21. These bridges are wonderful, and bringing people together. Great story, with wonderful images. Have a beautiful weekend! Michael

22. Wow! They’re so beautiful, I love art deco