World Read Aloud Day

Today, February 16th, is World Read Aloud Day.

img_2419

What could be better on this day than finishing reading a favorite book with my library reading group?  We have been reading The Wild Robot by Peter Brown since September.  Yes, September!  We meet twice a month to read, yet we talk, debate, laugh, worry, wonder…  That’s what happens with a good book.

People across the world are encouraged to read aloud.  You never know the difference you could make by reading to someone, be it a child, a grandparent, or a good friend.  Do you remember the first book that left you with wonder?  Someone read that book to you, and you can “pay it forward”.

Things happen in threes, so they say.  Besides finishing reading The Wild Robot, a child made me a bookmark.  It was lovingly sewn by her big sister on their new sewing machine. The big sister fondly remembers chapter reading with Jennie years ago, as does her brother and little sister.  I was moved.  I cried.  That bookmark will forever be in our classroom chapter reading book.

img_2499

And finally, Scholastic Books has Charlotte’s Web available for a dollar.  A parent in my class has purchased the book for every child in the class.  I am at a loss for words.

Read aloud today!

This entry was posted in Early Education, reading, reading aloud, Teaching young children and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to World Read Aloud Day

1. The benefits of reading aloud are unquantifiable. That parent has brought tears to my eyes!

Me, too. I plan to take a group picture of every child holding their copy of Charlotte’s Web. Hopefully all the parents will give me permission to post it on my blog. Thank you for reading and enjoying the post!

2. I read aloud to my children until they could start reading back to me. We would go back and forth. My daughter was reading at a 10th grade level in 4th grade and her brother was very much the same. We took all their Scholastic Books by the wagon loads back to their school for the library or their teachers to use. Reading aloud to children is the best thing a parent can do for them. I so agree with you. That was so sweet of your student and her sister to make you a bookmark. It’s always the little things that make the big difference.

3. Nina says:

I love this Jennie! I read aloud with my daughter and she always has many questions in between reading, LOL!
    That is sooo sweet and thoughtful of the children to remember you! You must have been a very good reader! Hehehe! 😊❤

4. mitchteemley says:

My wife and I have been reading aloud since before we were married. Not much better in this world than journey into a book together.

5. mitchteemley says:

Ahem, make that “journey-ing.”

How wonderful to have a library reading group with whom you can share the wonder. You do so much to inspire children, Jennie. What a wonderful tribute to have a past pupil, sister of a present pupil, make you a special bookmark. Your students and their parents definitely appreciate your efforts. How lovely for one parent to purchase a copy of Charlotte’s Web for every child. Works well for International Book Giving Day on 14th Feb. I’m learning about all these special reading days. Thanks for adding Read Aloud Day to my list. 🙂

7. I love reading aloud and often even do it on my own because I simply want to savor the words of a good book. That bookmark is a wonderful present and moved me too! Have a lovely weekend!

What a kind gesture, to buy every child a copy of that great book.
    We read aloud to our grandson. (2 years old) The only problem is that he wants us to read the same stories all the time!

Thank you, Pete. I was quite moved by such a genuine gesture. Reading the same book over and over again may be boring for you, but it is pouring language into the brain of your grandson. It’s important. Alternate a different book with the comfort of the old book. Best to you!

9. This brought tears to my eyes, because teachers, like you, give so much of your heart to your students and literally encourage the love of reading for so many precious children. Reading, reading aloud, giving them a voice and a place to go to into a book, especially when the world feels to big, too frightening, and children feel so vulnerable. Thank you, Jennie. 🙂

10. I was lucky enough to have two older sisters who would tell me stories and read to me.. I also used to read their books rather than my own… way above my pay grade! Your children are very lucky in their teacher.

11. Wow! What a wonderful, magical day!

12. JF Dowsett says:

Never stop reading to your children and students, ever. These memories will last a lifetime, teach them language and life lessons, nourish their minds and inspire creativity. This is the gold standard, the most important learning in early changes childhood! Keep up the great work.

13. I love your heartwarming and inspirational post!

14. I remember being read to as a child. If I can recall that after all these years and all that has passed I can testify to its power. The reader is leaving an imprint that may very well turn out to be one of the more cherished memories one has of their upbringing. A tip of the hat to that parent who bought books for all in the class!

15. thatssojacob says:

Hey Jennie! What did you think of my latest teacher’s tale post?

Hurray, Jennie! That parent knows the true worth of a great book! Wow, thank you to Scholastic Books, too.
    The handmade book mark is an amazing gift! (Yes, sewn on a sewing machine but the elements chosen are original and considered homemade in my mind. 🙂 ) I get sentimental and cry over many special features or tokens given. We would be quite a pair, Jennie! hugs xo

Yes, we would be quite a pair, Robin. 🙂 Both the handmade bookmark and the Scholastic book order were incredibly special. Yes, I cried. But happy tears are good tears.

17. I think it’s wonderful to read one book over a long period of time, that plus your discussions make the story so much more memorable than just rushing on to the next one. And for every student to have their own copy of Charlotte’s Web–fantastic! The bookmark is very special, too. 🙂

Many thanks, Marcia. I love, love my read-aloud library group. You know all the reasons why 🙂 I am still overwhelmed at the parent’s gesture of getting Charlotte’s Web for all the children. I will take a photo of everyone and their new book to share. Marcia, Jane Yolen was recently at Mt. Holyoke. Patricia MacLachlan will be there in April. I will be there! I really thought “The Poet’s Dog” the should have won the Newbery.