Take Time to Read

Reading is the essence of pleasure and learning. Thank you to Charles French for posting these important quotes. I would like to add one that Einstein said: “If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.” Yes, it is all about reading.

charles french words reading and writing

library-1021724_960_720

(pixabay.com)

“If you don’t have time to read, you don’t have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.”

Stephen King

books-1082942__180

(pixabay.com)

“Read, read, read. Read everything — trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master. Read! You’ll absorb it.
Then write. If it’s good, you’ll find out. If it’s not, throw it out of the window.”

William Faulkner

books2

(pixabay.com)

“We live for books.”   Umberto Eco

View original post

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Take Time to Read

1. Actually, I’ve been finding myself in need of just indulging in the act of curling up on the couch with a favorite novel and catching up with the adventures therein…sometimes, I need a nudge to allow myself that pleasure…thanks for the (indirect) nudge!
    🙂

I confess that I have not read nearly enough books in the last five to ten years. Before that, I always read, sometimes two books at once, depending on my mood. However, I keep buying them, as I am all-too aware of the importance or reading. Perhaps I will have to put ‘special time’ aside for books; less blogs, more literature!

Love these quotes, of course! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

4. GP Cox says:

I think of reading as going on an adventure!!

5. I very often go to my home in Mexico to write. I do this because it is unplugged, so I am not distracted by phones and the Internet. This increases my productivity ten-fold. As a bonus, I’ve found I read more.

Jennie, excellent advice in these quotes. Do you think social media interferes with reading or, actually, enhances more reading opportunities? I will read tonight…after ‘the game’😉

7. There is nothing better than settling into a good book that takes you into another realm of reality and adventure.. Thank you for the share Jennie xx

8. Love your fairy tale quote (or rather Einstein’s), so true. Fairy tales have certainly withstood the trials of time!

Yes, they have. I have been thinking of reading some of the lesser known, such as “Snow White and Rose Red” or “The Twelve Dancing Princesses”.

9. Deb says:

Great quotes!

10. Just wonderful, Jennie. I think you and Charles always have some of the best posts ever! I am so glad you reblogged this. The author of “The Name of the Rose”, Umberto Eco, is a favorite author of mine and I love all the other quotes too! That is the wonderful thing about reading the books from many different authors, each one opens up a whole new world to discover. Thank you! 🙂

Thank you, Karen! To be put in the same company with Charles is one of the highest complements I could receive. I’m so glad I reblogged this, too. Your last sentence about reading books from different authors…replace those words with ‘hearing books read aloud from different authors’ and there you have it- me.