The Essential Children’s Bookshelf

Read & Survive

Found this lovely infographic via ebookfrienly.com

What’s your favorite children’s book?

View original post

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to The Essential Children’s Bookshelf

1. M. L. Kappa says:

Personally I never tire of reading Room on the Broom! Both my grandsons discovered the Percy Jackson books at around 7-8 and that got them reading. But maybe that’s because they’re Greek and they get all that mythology at school…

2. These are great books for 5/6th grade. Like to kill a mockingbird is a good book but higher level reading so it’s good for those ages !

3. A great selection of books, Jennie. I would add Goodnight Moon, Charlotte’s Web, and the Hobbit to my lists of classics. There are so many wonderful books!

My thoughts, exactly! I should have added those comments to my reblog, because these are the books I read aloud (not The Hobbit) in my classroom. I need to write a post on how and what I do with Goodnight Moon every day (I have just made myself a to-do note). It goes far beyond reading. Thank you!

4. Yu/stan/kema says:

Wonderful post and informative.

Love the infographic, but there’s too many favourites to choose just one!

6. Okay…how about ‘Stinky Cheese Man’?
    And those ‘Frog and Toad are Friends’ books?
    Just off the top of my head, you’ve covered lots of good ones already.

7. Percy Jackson..now there’s a hero we can be proud of. My son loves him. Thanks for posting.

Jennie, this was a great and meaningful post reblog! 🙂 My response is so long!
    I like reading the Spot books, as well as Biscuit. I recommend all of Steven Kellogg books, (“My Mama is a Llama”), also I read all the Golden Books to my own little children and grandies. ❤
    There are sweet elements in Tomi di Paolo's "The Knight and the Dragon" ("The Three Robbers" and my grandchildren like their parents' Berenstein Bears, especially "The Spooky Old Tree.' I was read "The House at Pooh Corner," Edgar Allan Poe and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
    In the 6 to 8 year old bracket, I loved the "Beezus and Ramona" series and as you love them, I do too: "The Little House on the Prairie" series.
    As they grew up, I liked for my daughters, the American Girl series. (They keep adding new and diverse girls.)
    They liked "Misty of Chincoteague" (any horse books), the "Little Women" series and Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys series, from my childhood. My son liked reading Ripley's Believe it or Not" which his teacher allowed his search for weird stories, recommending a few true stories. He also liked "The Wind in the Willows," "Rascal" and all of Jack London, including "The Call of the Wild."
    All of my grandchildren like Harry Potter and the older ones like "The Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. (Not me, though.I have read only one: "The Hobbit" and have watched none of those films from these books. They liked "A Wrinkle in Time" which I am excited to read they are going to film this. Thanks for listening and go ahead and edit this. It was like our monthly chat! ❤

Robin, this is so wonderful. As I read the books your listed, I nodded my head and smiled at each one. Thank you for a walk down memory lane. I have not read the American Girl Doll books either. Isn’t reading great! Well, reading-aloud is even greater. Thank you!

9. Great collection, Jennie! I’m trying to come up with a favorite book, but it’s so hard to narrow down my list. I guess my answer is Miss Rumphius for a picture book, and maybe Anne of Green Gables for a novel. I absolutely loved listening to E. B. White’s audio recording of Charlotte’s Web, as well.

It is a great list. And, your choices are wonderful, of course. I have not listened to E.B. White’s recording of Charlotte’s Web. I must do that! Thank you.

10. Hayley says: