Quote of the day

I never understood poetry when I was in school. It wasn’t until I had children and discovered Shel Silverstein that the importance of words scripted in poetry opened a door. I must have read aloud to them Robert Frost’s “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening” a hundred times. Poetry is a powerful force, in the best of ways. Joseph Brodsky’s incredible quotation is a testament to that. Thank you M.C. Tuggle for bringing Brodsky’s quotation to your readers.

M.C. Tuggle, Writer

Joseph Brodsky

“By failing to read or listen to poets, society dooms itself to inferior modes of articulation, those of the politician, the salesman, or the charlatan. In other words, it forfeits its own evolutionary potential. For what distinguishes us from the rest of the animal kingdom is precisely the gift of speech. Poetry is not a form of entertainment and in a certain sense not even a form of art, but it is our anthropological, genetic goal. Our evolutionary, linguistic beacon.”

Joseph Brodsky

View original post

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Quote of the day

It’s a good quote, but his name is even better! M.C. Tuggle, how great is that! 🙂
    I am considering changing my name to that one. Imagine my blog called ‘M. C. BeetleyTuggle’!

2. beth says:

such great words and reminder – ‘a linguistic beacon’ – yes.

3. Wow! Excellent quote. And quite right.

Excellent. I recall a teacher reading “The Charge of the Light Brigade” by Alfred Lord Tennyson to us and being incredibly moved.

5. Opher says:

Poetry was killed for me by school. It wasn’t until I left school and discovered Dylan, Harper, Cohen and Ginsberg that I learnt to love it again.

6. Brodsky’s quote applies now more than ever, when some in this country can’t even rise to the level of civil discourse, never mind evolutionary linguistic potential.

7. TanGental says:

Hear hear! Poetry enriches and explains in ways prose fumbles to achieve…

His quote knocked my socks off. I also have a greater appreciation for fewer words to elicit more meaning. Know what I mean? That’s why children’s picture books are more difficult to write. Every word must be a beacon. Poetry is in that same family.

Wow, that was a mouthful. I think I got it but will reread it because the words were beautiful. The Frost poem is fantastic. No surprise there.

9. I loved Frost when I discovered his work as a young adult, Jennie. And Shel Silverstein is a staple in our house. Thanks for sharing and thanks to Mike for the quote. 🙂

10. calmkate says:

wow as a poet I agree with his conclusion but I also have no doubt that it is art! And music, and connection and so much more, Robert Frost had poetic talent by the truck load 🙂

11. Indeed a great quote, Jennie! Thank you for sharing, and for bringing me closerto Mr.Tuggle.Enjoy your weekend! Michael (The WeekendVisitor Lol)