Miracle On Ice

Today is the 40th anniversary of ‘Miracle on Ice’, when Team USA beat the Soviet Union in the medal round in ice hockey at the 1980 Olympics.

This is not a sports story.  This is a story of what can happen when kids try hard and give it all their heart.

I was there, glued to the TV, watching the game.

This was a college team, many from New England.  Kids playing pros.

And they won.

I teach children to try hard and do their best.

I teach  children to believe in themselves and follow their heart.

Miracles do happen.

This entry was posted in America, behavior, Early Education, Expressing words and feelings, history, Inspiration, patriotism, preschool, self esteem, Teaching young children. Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Miracle On Ice

1. beth says:

I remember this so well, and one of favorite sports memories. yes, always believe in yourself, anything is possible. this is the best message that any child could be taught.

2. Oh my gosh! I remember watching this with my dad! It was so exciting and inspiring!☺️

I am a sports junkie, and I remember that contest so well. It’s mind-blowing that was already forty years ago. Sports can teach a lot of valuable life lessons such as discipline, perseverance, and being part of a team. Our son is a college football coach—actually, he’s transitioning to teaching/coaching at the high school level.

I know exactly what you mean! Great lessons learned. This was a game for the ages. Your son must feel proud to be teaching and coaching football. Best to you, Pete.

I remember this well, Jennie. That was a remarkable day.

5. Well said, Jennie. The difference between winning and losing can come down to desire.

6. cindy knoke says:

Miracles do happen when we all care for each other as you so perfectly demonstrate Jennie.

7. I remember the day as well. As you and the children can attest, heart counts for a great deal.

8. quiall says:

Truer words were never spoken. I watched the game too!

9. Patriel says:

thank you for the remembrances. one of the best games ever. Jennie, you are right . It is one for the ages.

I don’t watch any sport, but I was in Moscow the year before that, and saw the stadium. Glad to hear it made you happy that your team won, Jennie. 🙂

A great example for the kids.

12. L. Marie says:

Such a great moment! Olympic moments like these are so wonderful. They make you feel glad you were alive to see them.

Seems like yesterday. I listened on the radio. Speaking of ice, my wife fell on some this past Wednesday, broke her wrist, will need surgery in all likelihood.

Oh, no!! I’m so sorry to hear about your wife, Steve. We have had cold rains this winter and little snow, and that means ice. The slipping and falling on ice has been a constant hazzard. Fingers crossed for her speedy recovery.

You listened to the game on the radio? That must have been awesome. Listening to sports on the radio is an entirely different experience. I love baseball and the Red Sox on the radio. Were you still in New York then? Lake Placid is wonderful. We were there for hockey tournaments with our son in the early 90’s.

14. New to me, but well done! Thank you for remembeing on this, Jennie!Have a beautiful Sunday. Michael