Smorgasbord Posts from Your Archives – “Starry Night” II by Jennie Fitzkee

A story of the arts, the creativity of a child, and one of my best moments in teaching. Thank you for sharing this, Sally.

Smorgasbord - Variety is the spice of life

This week Jennie Fitzkee shares with us one of the teaching experiences which resulted in a wonderful suprise. A small child who noticed something in a masterpiece that Jennie has not noticed before….

“Starry Night” II by Jennie Fitzkee

I will never underestimate children and art. This story is why.

I have been introducing a variety of styles of art to children as we prepare our annual Art Show for the community. Currently we are learning about France, and that’s a perfect opportunity to highlight art. We are creating ‘masterpieces’, allowing each child to work on his or her piece multiple times until they feel it is just right.

Each piece in itself holds a story, because the end result is often far more than what the child imagined, or what I expected. Sometimes a story is so remarkable, or so startling, that it needs to be told. This is…

View original post 628 more words

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Smorgasbord Posts from Your Archives – “Starry Night” II by Jennie Fitzkee

I left a comment on Sally’s blog, Jennie.

2. Annika Perry says:

Popping over to Read…I’m intrigued!

Ah, how lovely you gave Liam control over his painting, Jennie. What a beautiful Starry Night he created. I have a print of Starry Night on my wall. It’s one of my favourite paintings. I had to check for the red house too. Beside my print is a beautiful starry night painting (an original) done by my granddaughter when she was three. It’s just as special.

Starry Night is the only poster I have hanging in my classroom. Everything else is children’s art. I often wonder why some teachers don’t give children control. The world is their oyster, and we are their ocean. I’m so glad you had to check for the red house, too! Wonderful that you have your granddaughter’s rendition alongside your print.

4. Cecilia says:

I know what you mean by seeing art through children’s eyes. Great post, thank you!

I was always impressed at your knowing to frame the children’s art projects and taking days to complete art rather than teaching them to scribble over printed pages! This was one of my first reasons I followed You, Jennie.

I didn’t know that, Robin. That’s so good to hear! We’re getting ready to prepare for the annual art show as soon as March turns the corner. Where has the year gone??